Recent Posts

Tuesday 5 June 2012

The June Sky in the North

Mars is obvious in the southwestern part of the sky. I saw it this evening. late about 10:45. Bootes, the Herdsman, is the big constellation in the sky. Arcturus and Izar are visible plainly, the first being very bright.
Corona Borealis is clear as well, the great Northern Crown. Another clear constellation is Draco. In England, if it is not raining, like tonight, these constellations are clear.

Tomorrow, in some parts of the world, the great, second, and last transit of Venus will occur. One must not look directly at the sun. There are many websites on this rare event explaining how to look at Venus crossing the sun without damaging one's eyes.

At the end of the month, one can see Jupiter and Venus together in the pre-dawn sky.  Right now, in Walsingham, as I am writing this, it is 41 degrees Farenheit. I am not going to stand outside and look at the stars any longer! However, I did see the full moon rising. This was an extraordinary experience, as I was standing in a country field, waiting for the lighting of the beacon and a display of fireworks, when the move took  all my attention.

Enjoy the sky this month.