Recent Posts

Friday 1 June 2012

Visiting Cranborne



I cannot describe adequately the beauty of Cranborne Manor Gardens in Dorset. As one walks from one garden room to the next, one is overcome with either the simplicity of the beauty, the history of the walks, or the romantic drama of these separate Edens.

One can take time and walk and think and enjoy the beauty, which is a gift of God, who is Beauty.

On a late Spring day, I visited these gardens recently and was overwhelmed with a soft, gentle quiet. The word I would use is homey. These gardens are like comfortable blankets, surrounding one with beauty and peace.

I was fortunate to be there with a friend and more frequently than not, we were the only two on the walks.

The purple beeches. like magnificent knights, guarded our way. I share some photos and hope you will enjoy the peace and romance of each walk.

I can hardly believe this place was the home of one of the most anti-Catholic of Elizabeth's reign. Robert Cecil's father was the  William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley and he was influenced by Sir Francis Walsingham, the hunter of Catholics. How strange that hundreds of years later, an ardent Catholic like me can walk the grounds and feel the peace of God out of this violent history of religious persecution.