Recent Posts

Sunday 22 July 2012

Predominant Fault Three-perfection series

Promptness of will and intolerance of our faults are part of the battle against our predominant faults. This is a battle from which we cannot escape if we want to be holy.


Our wills must respond to God like a damsel fly in the air, turning directions quickly and deftly. Promptness of will means two things. That we are listening and in sanctifying grace. Garrigou-Lagrange writes, referring to a quotation from Blessed Nicholas of  Flue--"Lord, take from me everything that hinders me form going to Thee. give me all that will lead me to Thee. Take me from myself and give me to Thyself."


The great Dominican states that such a prayer leads us to self-examination. I actually write down sins, and look for patterns. A pattern of sin shows the hidden deep sin. A good confessor can help one on this point.

Garrigou-Lagrange reminds us that St. Ignatius of Loyola kept journals and instructed his followers to do so. Journals which include the Examen are great.

Along with the above, the holy Dominican notes that when we realize sin, we must impose a sanction or penance on ourselves EVERY time we perceive that sin.

It can be a moment of silence or a prayer. I try to do the opposite. If I have been selfish in conversation, I try and be quiet and listen. If I am impatience, I try to be patient. A virtue counteracts a vice. The positive slowly overcomes the negative.

A warning: do not surround yourself with negative people. If you can be a cheerleader, fine, but negativity is not from God and indicates a serious interior need for healing and repentance.  To be continued...