Recent Posts

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

What is missing is love...An open letter to the SSPX

Dear Members of the SSPX,


When I returned to the Church years ago at the age of 22, I had to make a decision, not only about the truth that Christ was God, but that the Church, as unholy as it had been manifested in my life, was the One, True, Holy and Catholic Church.

Now, the first decision was one based on Faith. The second was based on Love. I had grown up having priests and nuns in the family and being very familiar with religious people. The Church seemed to be so imperfect in so many ways, especially growing up in one of the most liberal dioceses in the United States.

So, my decision was not based on some dewy-eyed idea of the seen perfection of the Church, but on the Church as it really was in the world. That bishops were wrong in some areas of doctrine, that some priests were pedophiles, that many lay people were hypocrites using contraceptives and not carrying about the poor, did not make any difference to me anymore. Four people in my family had been abused by a priest for years and years. Nothing mattered as to sin or falsehood. The Church was and is the one institution created by Christ for our salvation. I could no longer be outside this institution. It was no longer a question of me judging, but submitting myself to the authority of the Church. I could not be holier than Rome. I could not be holy without Rome.

I, too, am and was at that time, a great sinner. We say the Church is made up of sinners, and we quote Christ stating that "...They that are well have no need of a physician, but they that are sick. For I came not to call the just, but sinners."  Mark 2:17 Douay Rheims

But, do you, dear members and friends, want to fight the fight with sinners, side-by-side with the Pope, or on the outside? Can you love the Church, which is imperfect, in order for Her to be made perfect? As in marriage, would you die for your Spouse, dear SSPX priests? 


Please come back. For the sake of Love, Who is a Person and needs you.


Supertradmum

11 comments:

New Sister said...

I cannot bear to see our Holy Father's heart broken either. May they not delay coming home - his heart will rejoice. Heaven will rejoice. Sancta Maria Mater Dei...

Henry Edwards said...

Excellent! For those who would claim to preserve the Faith, the question is simple. Do they believe in the Church and Pope, and accept their authority?

Jonvilas said...

Dear Supertradmum,
My highest respect. This is also my thought.
j

NCTradCatholic said...

We are inside the Church. Never left. Rome has already said so. Likewise, the Mass was never prohibited, contrary to what we were all told in the 1970s.

Supertradmum said...

NCTradCatholic, you forgot about the excommunications recently lifted and you are begging the question. If you are in the Church, why are your bishops in discussions with Rome? And, why do your priests not have faculties for Confession or Marriage as sacraments from the local ordinaries? Facts. I know the Mass was not prohibited, however, we are at a cross-roads for unity at this moment and I hope you can see that.

Anita Moore said...

Look. I love the TLM and want it, and am working to restore it in my diocese, and particularly in my parish. I am up against hostile forces. I could attend an SSPX chapel, but I don't, because (a) their status is so murky, and (b) I cannot be seen to be associated with a group that is not squarely within the fold.

This illustrates the fact that the Society cannot be effective except in full and clear Communion with Rome. The priests and bishops of the Society have quit the field of battle and withdrawn to their fortress, leaving the rest of us outgunned and outnumbered. And the liberals WANT the Society to stay in its ghetto, where they don't have to look at it and be confronted by it.

If there are any members of the SSPX reading this, listen to me: This is one of the sheep speaking. I want you in full Communion. I need you. I need your help. You are hurting me by staying where you are. Come home now.

Anita Moore said...

P.S. I forgot to add one thing. Napoleon said that the side that stays within its fortifications is beaten. So come out, and come home!

New Sister said...

Anita - perfect quote. I think it's rather mean of the SSPX to stubbornly keep apart. We need them!

I hope, when unity does - Deo volente - occur, that the SSPXers will be generous in reaching out to people who come to discover the Traditional Liturgy for the first time. It is a beautiful gift that we must not keep to oursleves, but share with the world. I think this would/could be the most powerful movement in the New Evangelization.

Edofmund said...

All the great heresies began and were perpetuated not on points of doctrine but on a point of principle - the principle of disunity. In point of doctrine, of course the Society is within the Church. But in practice, this is not always the case. One can have unity and obedience, or division and pride. Never in the long history of the Church has Rome made so much effort to reconcile. The ball is in the Society's court.

Supertradmum said...

Edofmund, I am afraid you are correct. I sincerely hope they will hit is back over the net...

Supertradmum said...

oops It will hit--Society--bad grammar there.