Recent Posts

Tuesday 4 September 2012

On Blackbirds and Bird Mimics

Being a great birdwatcher for over 40 years and memorizing songs and calls of birds in various countries, I have known for some time that certain birds mimic artificial man-made sounds. But, to hear an English Blackbird, which is a Thrush related to the American Robin, chirping away on the hour like an digital alarm clock was uncanny today.

It kept up the sound just like those small, travel alarms with the chirping noise. At first, I thought is was an alarm, and then realized it was the Blackbird outside my London window.

Animals are amazing and birds imitate sounds for various reasons. One is that these animals create territorial rights by singing or calling, and if there are artificial sounds in the area, those can become part of the territory markings.

Some birds are more likely to mimic than others. Like the Blackbird, the Starling is a great bird for mimicry.


Here, there is a CD of mimics which one can buy. I would love to have this, but not now, as I am travelling soon. I shall just pay attention to my surroundings and listen.