Recent Posts

Thursday 24 January 2013

Thoughts in the cold.........

The low tonight is going to 21, that is, Thursday. I am amazed at the cold temperatures this year in England.

I sleep with two duvets, socks or tights, and three sweaters. Really. It is not as bad as 2010, they say.

The ice age cometh.

I saw O'Neill's play years ago.

It is strange.

This weather is strange.


When I was growing up in Iowa, we had feather blankets, which were heavy, huge feather bed like things made by my great-grandma and grandma. If one turned over at night, one had to exert a tremendous amount of energy.

I wish I had one now. I do not know what happened to them.


I always felt like Heidi in the winter, under or between the feathers.

I always slept with my head covered and only my nose out of the heavy blankets.

Sigh, I hate the cold. One can do layers and end up like The Princess and The Pea.

My mother said I was like the princess in that story, as I had to have my bed just right for sleeping.


I am just glad to be warm.

When I was little, I used to call out to my mom after I was in bed, "Cover me" in a little sing-song voice. It was like a bed-time ritual.

I wonder if she remembers that. I was always glad to be warm.....