Recent Posts

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Choices


The entire globe is entering into a time of change like we have not seen since WWII. This change is made up of some similar changes and some varied changes.

Some things which are new are actually very old, like aggressive Islam.

Some things which are new are new, like post-Christian paganism, and even barbarism.

Never before has the world seen Christianity wane and paganism wax in every country so quickly.

These changes will force us, even now, to make choices for the present, and for the future.

Some people cannot face the present, and many people do not want to face the future.

But, in reality, all we have is today. The choices we make today determine our futures. Easy.

People may resist cause and effect, but this movement is a reality.

Every day, we as Catholics are faced with many choices which may seem small, but are not.

For example, I stopped twittering because tweeting was an occasion of venial sin for me.

So, I now avoid the near occasion of sin. Someone may say that the good of evangelizing by tweeting is greater than the occasion of venial sin.

I think not. I made a choice.

Simple.

The nuns in Tyburn keep silent. By keeping silence, they do not lie, or gossip, or waste time talking trivia.

All sins are avoided by one, simple rule of St. Benedict. Like not tweeting, I have omitted the possibility of these sins in my life through twitter. My betters can tweet without sinning.

We can all make choices daily which help us to become saints, slowly but surely.

I shall always choose to avoid venial sin, if I can.

What choices can you make today to clear the way of sin and the tendency to sin?