Recent Posts

Sunday 11 August 2013

On The Limits of Language



When we listen intently, we think of the words which are being spoken to us. 


A friend of mine today expressed that another friend sends his regards.


How interesting. What does it mean to send regards?


What does it mean to send kind regards, which was not said?


To regard in older days meant to esteem, or to give respect. Now, we use it for everyday greetings.


This phrase reminds me of the famous discussion about Edward Farrars in Sense and Sensibility.  


When I take those on line which character of Jane Austen are you tests, I come out as Elinor Dashwood, and because my other favourite character, Anne Elliot in Persuasion, is rarely a choice. I am convinced both would be INTJs....


Elinor Dashwood: I do not attempt to deny that I think very highly of him, that I... greatly esteem him... I like him. 
Marianne: "Esteem him?" "Like him?" Use those insipid words again and I shall leave the room this instant. 

We have lost so much subtlety in today's extravagant use of language. 


I love the older subtleties of the English language.