Recent Posts

Sunday 3 November 2013

An Unexpected Treat


I popped into Stella Maris Church this morning for Sunday Mass as I did not want to make the trip to the Co-Cathedral, which is my favorite place for Sunday Mass. I also wanted to see the parish church of Sliema before I left, which will be at the week's end. To my surprise and delight, the Latvian National Woman's Choir was present to sing new liturgical pieces. These are composed by Latvians, two of whom are Didzis Ritnieks and Andris Kontauts. The language was Latin, but the music modern, although I recognized some borrowing of Medieval polyphonic chants.

Here is an example of Kontauts music, although, of course, not from this morning's Mass.



Stella Maris, Mary, Star of the Sea, is one name of Mary I truly love. The Irish and the English also have great devotion to her, and there are two hymns I especially like sung to her in that title. Of course, I could not understand the sermon, as it was a Maltese Mass. But, music transcends language.



Thanks to wiki for this statue photo