Recent Posts

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Advent and Death Meditations Part 8

The great St. Thomas More said that he was grateful to have many months in prison in which to prepare for death. How would I prepare for death if I was given a death sentence, such as cancer, or a premonition from God?

The saints were not afraid to prepare for death.

Again, St. Alphonsus helps us in these thoughts. But, I know some elderly people in my parish who do not want to think about death. I am concerned as to why. Can we not repent today and become holy while still here?

Again, it is the busyness which we create, and the complications we prefer in our lives which keep us from facing death.

It is scary, of course. It is hard, naturally, as we were not created originally to die but to live forever.
So, we naturally fear death. But, this fear must be faced in order for each one of us to be ready.

Here are two other posts on this point.

http://supertradmum-etheldredasplace.blogspot.com/2012/07/on-four-last-things.html

http://supertradmum-etheldredasplace.blogspot.com/2012/07/on-fear-of-death-among-catholics.html

and more from St. Alphonsus....


1. Be ready : for at what hour you think not, the Son 
of man will come.1 The time of death will not be the time 
to prepare ourselves to die well; to die well and happily, 
we must prepare ourselves beforehand. There will not 
be time then to eradicate bad habits from the soul, to ex- 
pel from the heart its predominant passions, and to ex- 
tinguish all affection to earthly goods. The night comes 
when no man can work.2 All in death will be night, when 
nothing will be seen; and, from here, nothing done. The 
heart hardened, the mind obscured, confusion, fear, the 
desire of health, will all render it almost impossible at 
the hour of death to set in order a conscience confused 
and entangled in sin. 
Sacred wounds of my Redeemer! I adore you, I 
humbly kiss you, and I confide in you. 
2. The saints Thought they did but little, though they 
spent their whole lives in preparing for death, by acts of 
1 "Estote parati, quia, qua hora non putatis, Filius hominis veniet." 
Lk. 12. 40. 



2 "Venit nox, quando nemo potest operari." John 9. 4. 
[36] penance, prayer, and the practice of good works; and 
they trembled when they came to die. The venerable 
John Avila, although he had led a very holy life from his 
youth, when it was announced to him that he was about 
to die, made answer and said, "Oh that I may have a little 
more time to prepare myself for death!" And what 
shall we say when the summons of death shall be brought 
to us? 
No, my God, I do not wish to die troubled and un- 
grateful, as at present I should die, if death were to over 
take me; I desire to change my life, I desire to bewail 
my offences against You, I desire to love You with my 
whole heart. O Lord! help me, enable me to do some 
thing for You before I die, for You who have died for 
the love of me. 
3. The time is short1 says the Apostle. Yes, we have but a 
short time in which to set our accounts in order. 
Hence the Holy Spirit admonishes us, Whatever your 
hand is able to do, do it quickly.2 Whatever you are able 
to do today, do not put off till tomorrow; for today 
is passing away, and tomorrow may bring death, 
which will deprive you of all means of doing good, or 
of amending what you have done badly. Woe to me 
if death should find me still attached to this world! 
Ah, my God, how many years have I lived at a distance 
from You! And how have You had so much patience 
with me, in waiting for me and in calling me so often to 
repentance! I thank You, O my Redeemer! for Your 
long forbearance, and I hope to thank You for it for- 
ever in heaven. The mercies o the Lord I will sing for- 
ever.3 Until now I have not loved You, and have made 
little account of being or not being loved by You, but now 
1 "Tempus breve est." 1 Cor. 7. 29. 
2 "Quodcumque facere potest manus tua, instanter operare." 
Eccles. 9. 10. 



3 "Misericordias Domini in aeternum cantabo." Ps. 88. 2. 
[37] I do love You with my whole heart; I love You above 
all things, more than I love myself, and I desire nothing 
so much as to be loved by You; and, recollecting how I 
have despised Your love, I would willingly die of grief 
for having done so. Jesus, grant me perseverance in 
virtue. Mary, my holy mother, obtain for me the hap- 
piness of being faithful to God.