Recent Posts

Monday 30 December 2013

John Allen Jr.'s New Book

Well, I have a few points about John Allen Jr.'s new book. I finished it while someone was looking at my computer, which sadly, is getting old on the outside.

This book is superb for statistics but I am not happy with Allen's definition of martyrdom, which includes political martyrs who are Christian.

He changes the traditional definition of martyr to include those who are not orthodox, or even Christian, in some cases. Orthodoxy, that is, obedience to the Church is the mark of the saint.

A person who is disobedient to the Teaching Magisterium of the Church cannot suddenly witness to either the Christ Who is taught by Church or the Church.

A martyr is canonized either because the person loves Christ and dies for the sake of Christ, or the martyr loves the Church and dies for the sake of the Church, such as Thomas More.

To change the definition to include those working for social concerns because they are Christian stretches the traditional ideal of the martyr.

I give this book three stars, because of the excellent set of statistics, but I do not like the end thoughts. I do not think Allen understands the way of perfection. I also think he is caught in a false ecumenism.