Recent Posts

Wednesday 5 February 2014

The Churches of St. Agatha

St. Agatha is one of my personal patrons for three reasons. The first one is that I am a breast-cancer survivor. The second reason is that she visited Malta and the third is that there is a sweet little North Yorkshire church named after her as well.

St. Agatha came from Sicily, but when persecution started, she took refuge in Rabat with some friends, where I was in October. The Crypt of St. Agatha remains one reason I need to go back to Malta. That Agatha prayed in Malta brings me closer to this young saint.

She left the small island and returned to Sicily only to be tortured and killed on February 5th, 251 in the persecution of Decius. It is a great mystery of evil that this young girl was so horribly tortured.

The catacombs in Rabat and the altar to St. Agatha date back at least to the 4th century. Sadly, I did not get to see her altar and catacombs, but I did see the famous St. Paul Catacombs.

Thanks to wikimedia



For a small virtual tour of the Catacombs of St. Agatha, check this out. http://stagathamalta.com/crypt.html  St. Agatha's Church may be seen here on the left.












Another place where Agatha is honored is in Yorkshire. In Easby, Richmondshire, one can see wall paintings in the Anglican Church from medieval times.

Thanks to wikimedia

The 12th century church is still used but the Abbey was destroyed by Henry VIII. Apparently, the little church is a popular venue for Anglican weddings. I am sure St. Agatha smiles at the good Christian brides who go there if they stop and think of her on their "big" day.


I love Yorkshire and the melancholy abbey ruins which dot the dales. God willing, I shall walk to St. Agatha's, Easby myself some day.