Recent Posts

Tuesday 4 February 2014

The Laity Used To Be Lay


One of the greatest errors in the thinking of Catholics in 2014, and this is not new, is the clericalization of the laity. I have written on this many times.

Catholics believe that if they are not prancing about the altar, being lectors, EMHC, or choir directors, that they are not becoming holy.

The holiness of the life of the laity is the call to the world.

Are you taking Jesus into your workplace?

Are you evangelizing by spreading the good news of salvation?

Are you proud to be a Catholic?

Are you unifying your parish through good works, the corporal and spiritual works of mercy?

Do you ask yourself, what is my lay vocation? What does it mean to be yeast in the world?

Am I making my family holy by living the life of the virtues?

Am I building up God's Kingdom in the world and not my own?

Am I comfortable being a Catholic lay person, called by God to be in the world but not of the world?

Before Vatican II, the laity were lay. Women chose either to be nuns, or sisters, or wives and mothers.

Careers were chosen but with a view to serve in the world, such as teachers, nurses, taking care of the old and the young.

Women helped each other. Men helped each other.

Maturity and wisdom were passed down to the new generations.

Being lay was being part of the community.

Can people be lay again?