Recent Posts

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Thoughts This Ash Wednesday


2014 began harshly. This winter weather and temperatures have broken records here in the Midwest. I have been applying for jobs without success and am living in dire poverty. I have had asthma almost continually. In addition, I have been separated from one I love more than all other humans in the world and from my beloved, adopted country.

Such is the life of a Catholic on this earth. And, this list is what ties into my thoughts on this Ash Wednesday.

I am not made for this world, although this is the place wherein I work out my salvation, attempting to cooperate with God and His graces on the path of purgation.

Ash Wednesday reminds me that I am here on this beautiful earth for only a short period of time. Ash Wednesday reminds me that my body, which is part of who I am, and which is formed by my soul, will pass away and become dust.

Today is the 58 anniversary of my only sister's death. Her dust has been mingled with the earth for a very long time. She is in heaven, as she died 15 days before her first birthday. She is one of my personal patron saints. St. Elizabeth Ann watches over me and my family. She watches over my son.

Today, I asked her to intervene in my life by remembering her three atheist brothers. I asked her for a small consolation, as I am weak, and this Dark Night is very long and painful. Her nephew, my son, phoned me after I said this prayer, which was more than a small consolation.

In this period of time when the light is growing and the animals are coming out of either hibernation or semi-hibernation, I think of the long road to Easter. Lent is a small Dark Night, when I see Easter joy in the future, but when, like all good Catholics, I must endure some penances and mortifications for the sake of the Kingdom.

Ash Wednesday reminds me that time is short, that I must rest in faith and hope for the love which is beyond understanding.

God bless you this Lent.