Recent Posts

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Perfection Series II: lxvi

Reading both SS. Alphonsus and Francis de Sales, one sees the reaffirmation for the need for physical mortifications.

As the saints tell us, without external mortifications, interior ones simply will not occur. We all can lie to ourselves in thinking we are holy by not eating chocolate in Lent and even fall into a spiritual pride. But, to deny ourselves sleep or even the common pleasures or even needs of daily life seem "over-the-top" for many.

I have prayed for a long time this year to be freed from asthma, which interferes with my sleep and my ability to work. I have prayed novenas, and a friend of mine is praying another novena at this time to St. Bernadette, who suffered from asthma.

Perhaps, I must admit, I shall not be healed. Purgatory on earth is a choice we can all make. I asked for my purgatory on earth a few years ago. Being homeless and without a stable place to live or a job may be part of that purgatory. Being looked down on by fellow Catholics because I am living out of suitcases may be part of that purgatory. I do not know, but I am resigned to this suffering.

One can decide to make up mortifications and one can decide to accept those which God in His Mercy sends to us.

St. Alphonsus quotes the Great Teresa: "Souls that truly love God have no desire for bodily rest and indulgence."

That I still would like a full night's rest means I simply do not love God enough. As I am a sinner, and have been a great sinner in my past, I accept such illness as part of my purgatory.

That I find myself alone, and derided by so many is also part of my purgatory. But, there is a sweetness in this suffering which brings a quiet joy. I know God loves me if He is bothering to chastise me.

But, I can accept such trials with a full will and say "yes". And, if some do not understand mortification, or judge those who find themselves publicly following such, proceed anyway.

Such is the Mercy of God in your life. A long time ago, I hear God say this, "The crown of glory is the crown of thorns". That was at a time that I was complaining to God that I had only a few of my plays, poems, short stories, essays published. I gave up trying to publish. Then, many years later, on this blog, I realized that God had a plan for my writing-for His work and His glory, not mine.

When we give up our thoughts on how to choose life, God comes up with something much more original and better.

Mortification helps us to focus on God, instead of ourselves.