Recent Posts

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Nice To Be Back in Net Land And on Spiritual Directors, Again

Well, I am finally back in an area with the Net. I did manage two short trips to coffee shops over the long weekend, but am relieved to have regular access for the duration.


Someone asked me how to spot a good spiritual director. I have written on s.ds. before, but here are some tips. Look at the posts via the tags for more.

1) Listen to the sermons of the priest you are considering to ask for direction. By listening, you will learn if the priest is orthodox or not.

2) Go to confession several times to the priest you are considering. One learns a lot about a priest's ability to listen carefully, and discern in the confessional.

3) Ask the priest if he understands the way of perfection, the Dark Night and so on. If he does not, he will not be an adequate s.d.

4) Ask the priest who his favorite spiritual authors are. If the priest states St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. John of the Cross or Garrigou=Lagrange, he will be a good director.

5) Read any books or articles the priest may have written. Years ago, I approach a famous author of spirituality to be my s.d. He said yes, although, he added, that he had never been asked before that day. I was astounded. But, for three years, he was a superb director.

6) Pray and ask God to lead you to the right priest.

7) Pray more.....