Recent Posts

Thursday 22 May 2014

Novella Three Christine Part Six

Christine had work to do. Her job at the insurance company in Kansas City has ended abruptly. The company did not want to give her any more time off, and she knew she could not go back as of yet. Her wrist was taking a long time healing. Now, she was looking for another job on line, but nothing was "coming up."

Uncle Jay had sold well this year. Father Corrigan had moved into the Big House, with the understanding that if things got really bad, he would move to the underground apartment. All Jay's men were Catholic and fully supported the priest in hiding. Sam made a vow to protect the priest with his life. This made Christine really nervous.

Just as Jay had predicted, the Supreme Court decision caused the closing of fifty percent of the churches in the Midwest. Most bishops had been fined for refusing to have their priests cooperate with the new ruling, and two bishops were actually under house arrest, including the bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph. Christine watched the farm settle into autumn, and then early winter. In the beginning of November, James showed up in the kitchen one morning when Christine walked in for breakfast.

"Hey, Lady, you look great." He gave his sister a big bear hug. James looked ten years younger than his age. He was one of these guys who was always upbeat and energetic. He would always be "boyish".

"Have some grits, eggs and coffee and I shall tell you a story." He pulled out a chair for Christine. Addie, of course, begged.

"Go away, Addie, this is private," James laughed.

But the dog plopped down under the table near Christine's feet.

"Now, Lady, two years ago, when I was stationed in Israel, something wonderful happened. Guess what?"

"You met a girl, finally, " said Christine between bites of toast.

"Nope, I fell in love with God in a new way. I am going to study for the priesthood."

Christine stared at her older brother. She was scared. "Not now, James, not with all the churches closing and Fr. Corrigan here in hiding."

"You mean Bishop Corrigan, My Lady."  James sat on the chair backwards, with his hands on the top of the rounded back.

"Bishop?" Christine put down her fork. "Yeppie, he is the new bishop, auxiliary, because the other one is in jail." James spoke as if such things were normal, expected.

Christine just stared. She could not say anything. James laughed, "Well, I never thought I would see you so dumb-struck. I can study under him privately and when he thinks I am ready, Bishop Seamus Corrigan will ordain me, even right here in the chapel. So, what do you think?"

"I think you are crazy and foolhardy," she said. "You will get killed."

James poured out more coffee for the two of them. "Maybe, maybe not. Priest have survived worst times."

"But, you are, I mean, you are older than I am." Christine began to fish for excuses.

"Age does not matter anymore, Lady. You can see that."

Both siblings dropped into their own thoughts. Christine felt like she had to rest in silence.

She wanted to ask James many questions about his spiritual experience in Israel, but she could not.

He offered some hints. "I was standing in the Garden of Gethsemane, Lady, and I had my Bible. I decided to read the part about Christ in the Garden, the Agony in the Garden, when suddenly I felt this tremendous love. I mean, I was overwhelmed by peace and love. I knew I had to do whatever Christ asked of me."

James paused. He was watching Christine's face. "Then, I met some Franciscan priests at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. I talked to one every day I was in Jerusalem, which was six weeks. At the end, I knew what I had to do. Be a priest, one told me, and I knew he was absolutely right."

Christine looked at James. She had never seen him happier or, well, so mature. He seemed more manly than she had ever known him to be. His decisiveness convinced her. "I understand and I am happy for you, but I am also afraid for you, James."

"I know, Lady, but pray for me. Things will be OK."

Jay came into the kitchen after changing his shoes. He came over and shook James' hand. No one said anything for a moment. "I could use some help in the barn, today James. One of the beams needs replacing."

"Sure, Uncle. It would be great to do some hard work."

Christine said goodbye and went back to Sunset Cottage. She went into her bedroom and lay on the bed. She wanted to cry, but could not. Things were happening too fast, too roughly for her sensitive spirit. She rolled over on one side and saw the painting of Lady Elizabeth Christine Magdalen Thatcham.

Christine sighed. She figured that she had a new vocation as well. She did not have to apply for jobs... she had one in the making.

Suddenly, she felt tired. She fell asleep and in a dream she saw people in the underground house, priests, deacons, subdeacons, with candles, walking past beautiful statues, and columns with flower arrangments. In the midst of the chapel, Christ sat with His Head in His Hands, praying, weeping, as in the Garden of Gethsemane. She knew He had wept for His Church and those who hated the Church and Her priests.

More people came and filled the cavern room. Bishop Seamus was saying the Tridentine Mass and then, she saw James, assisting, as a priest.

A chant grew, surrounding all with joy and sorrow mixed. The suffering Christ was in their midst. But, all were raising their voices in praise for the Mass, for the Real Presence.

Christine saw Fr. James put the Host in a Monstrance and from the Host flowed peace and love.

She slept, and when she awoke, for the first time in months, Christine felt no pain in her wrist.

She knew she was healed. She knew she could be strong. Addie jumped up next to her, and as she petted the dog, Christine heard the call for dinner.

to be continued...