Recent Posts

Tuesday 24 June 2014

The Last Manning Post for Now



Cardinal Manning writes that we can make reparation to the Holy Ghost in three ways. The first is through following His inspirations promptly. Look at the damsel fly, as I add, and see how this creature turns quickly over a stream and changes direction in its flight. So too, we must swiftly respond to grace.

Second, and this is more difficult as it demands a generous heart, we must respond according to the graces and inspirations given, not  with the burying of the talent, but with making more out of what is given.

Third, we must serve the Holy Ghost is complete purity of heart. Now, the Cardinal gives way to achieve this purity, some of which were pointed out to me long ago.

Firstly, “…hunt down and slay your little faults; he that is faithful in that which is the least is faithful also in that which is greater; and they who will hunt down, and slay, and exterminate their little faults, be sure of it, will never willingly commit greater sins.”

Secondly, Manning advises us to do all our “little duties”…”with great exactness”.

The last words from this book on this blog are on the horrible spiritual warfare we are experiencing now and which Manning saw in his day.


I shall end with the same prayer which ends his book.

“O God the Holy Ghost, Whom I have slighted, grieved, resisted from my childhood unto this day, reveal unto me they personality, Thy presence, Thy power. Make me know Thy sevenfold gifts: the spirit of wisdom and understanding, of counsel and fortitude, of knowledge and piety, and of the fear of the Lord; and make me to be of quick understanding in the fear of the Lord. O Thou Who art the Spirit of the Father and the Son, O Thou Who are the love of the Father and the Son, O Thou Who baptisest with fire, and sheddest abroad the love of God in our hearts, shed abroad Thy love in my heart. One thing have I desired of the Lord: that will I seek after: not wealth, rank, power, worldly home, worldly happiness, or any worldly good, but one drop of that holy flame, one drop of that heavenly fire, to kindle me and set me on fire with the love of my God.
Let that holy flame burn up and consume in me every spot and soil of the flesh and of the spirit. Purify me sevenfold with the fire of Thy love. Consume me as a holy sacrifice acceptable unto Thee. Kindle me with zeal, melt me with sorrow, that I may live the life and die the death of a fervent penitent.”