Recent Posts

Saturday 4 October 2014

On Hairdryers


I envy the fact that the nuns do not have to have their hair showing daily. I am a bit of a tomboy. I wash my hair and dry it with a hairdryer and forget about it all day long.

I am not one to go to the hair salon on a regular basis. I get, at most, three haircuts a year.

My mother tells me that when I was four, I would never let her brush my black, curly hair. Well, not much has changed except the color and less curl.

One of the interesting parts of spending part of the year in America and part in the EU is the switching of the hair dryers. Of course, US hair dryers do not work in America and American hair dryers do not work in the EU. One can buy various adapters for appliances and I have one for my computer. I use to carry around several adapters, learning the hard way that b and bs, hotels, motels, and friends do not usually have extra or one hair dryer. Why?

Women get their hair done in the EU and they get it dried in the shops. This is part of the culture in several countries.


Younger girls just let it stay wet and dry naturally, but as a well-trained female, I never go outside with wet hair. This idea of walking around with wet hair started in California, as a sign that one just left the beach. It seems silly in Dublin.

Hairdryers symbolize to me the simplicity of not buying into the culture of couture. But, I must admit, I admire the coiffures of my EU female friends who are my age or younger.

Women in the EU are not afraid to be feminine. In the past two years, dresses and skirts have made a huge comeback. Ladies look like women.

I wish American women would decide to look more feminine, even the tomboys who do not fuss with their hair.