Recent Posts

Sunday 5 October 2014

Talking About Books

As I am on R and R before doing some serious retreat work, I want to share some books I have read or at least skimmed for your consideration.

Many years ago I read, rather in a cursory manner, The End of the Present World, by Father Charles Arminjon. Now, it is not infallible and only one priest's interpretation of the end times. However, as it was one of St. Therese, the Little Flower's favorite books, I decided to read it. I need to look at it again, but am merely sharing one section, as it fits into the perfection series. The most important sections, in my mind, are those on the need for perfection, for seeking holiness on this earth.

Fr. Arminjon relates that the punishments and purifications of purgatory are terrifying. But, this small paragraph brings consolation in desolation.

Poor souls. They have but one passion, one burning desire, one wish; to break the obstacle which prevents them from springing forward towards God, Who calls them and draws them to Himself with all the energy and  the violence of His beauty, mercy and boundless love.

What Father is describing is the purification of the predominant fault. They love God so intensely, having seen Him as He really is, that they willingly endure and will the punishment intended for them because of their sins, even venial ones.

The souls in purgatory cannot gain merit, cannot become more holy, but they can be purged and they do not lose any merit they did gain on earth.

Pray for those who have not converted, those who have not gained any merit. Do penance for the fallen away Catholics and those who are lukewarm.

Pray for the leaders in the Church who have not stressed the fact that only the perfect see God and have spread the modernist lies that all or most people go straight to heaven.

My copy of this book is in box in Silvis, Illinois, where my few worldly belongings have been for years. I want to move them, but cannot. If anyone wants to help me ship my items, please let me know. It is one of my greatest sufferings and anxieties to have those there without any help of redeeming these few things.

But, that is what this book is all about-enduring suffering and counting it all joy, as St. Therese did.