Recent Posts

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Insight from Lauds

Sometimes, a person, like me, can read the same passages daily or weekly from Scripture, such as the psalms in Lauds, and just "read" the words.

Suddenly, here and there, an insight pops out of the page of the Breviary, and one sees something new for the first time.

This happened early this morning at Tuesday Lauds in the Monastic Diurnal, the morning prayer of the Benedictines.

Reading the famous Psalm 50, these lines jumped out at me. Notice the language of perfection here.

St. David shows us that when one is purified, one experiences joy, not happiness, which is different, and one is strengthened in humility and self-knowledge which leads to perfection. This is what happened to him when Nathan pointed out David's gross sins of murder and adultery.

Then, David tells us that we can teach the ways of God to the unjust, the pagans, those who are sinners, and convert the wicked.

Then....

The blood from which David must be and has been delivered is that of lust and murder, as well as deceit and pride. Once delivered, he praises the justice of God, which also brought him mercy and forgiveness.


When Nathan the prophet came to him after he had sinned with Bethsabee.....


14 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and strengthen me with a perfect spirit.
15 I will teach the unjust thy ways: and the wicked shall be converted to thee.
16 Deliver me from blood, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall extol thy justice.